Course Title: NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course
Course Description: This course is an excellent starting point for the new handgun owner or the soon-to-be handgun owner, applicants applying for concealed carry weapon permits or the seasoned shooter looking to become a more proficient handgun shooter. Students will get intensive lessons in gun safety, types of handgun actions, the fundamentals of handgun marksmanship, handgun selection/purchasing criteria, basics of cleaning/lubrication and the basic care of a handgun, and safe handgun and ammunition storage options.
Note: This course is a pre-requisite for all other courses in the NRA Personal Protection Series. This course also satisfies the 8 hours of prior firearms safety training required for the Illinois Concealed Firearms License application.
Registration Fee: $125.00/student (Registration is transferable, but not refundable).
Course Goal: To teach students the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary for owning, using and caring for a handgun safely.
Lesson 1 – Handgun Knowledge and Safe Gun Handling;
Lesson 2 – Ammunition Knowledge and the Fundamentals of Handgun Shooting;
Lesson 3 – Various Shooting Positions and Handgun Shooting Qualification Exercise;
Lesson 4 – Scoring Targets, Selecting a Handgun for Purchase and
How to Maintain, Inspect and Clean a Handgun; and
Lesson 5 – Opportunities for Continuing Education, Training and Skill Development.
Course Length: This is an 8-hour course, which is delivered in two separate sessions:
Session-1 Friday 6 – 9:00 p.m. and Session-2 Saturday 7:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Course Prerequisites: Please bring a positive attitude toward learning, firearm safety and a willingness to participate in course exercises. There are no additional prerequisites for this class. The course material is easily understood by all adults regardless of their level of shooting experience (including no shooting experience) and mature minors age 14 years old and older who are accompanied by an adult, parent or legal guardian who is age 21 years old or older.
Additional Information: Included in the registration fee are: the complementary use of the indoor shooting range ($15.00/hour) and targets ($1.50/target) are included at no additional cost.
- Please wear appropriate shooting range clothing:
- Wear a Hat: A baseball cap is recommended;
- Wear Long Pants: Blue jeans are recommended;
- Wear Closed-toe Shoes: Boots or tennis shoes are recommended;
- Wear Crew-Neck Shirts: Avoid low-cut tops or V-neck shirts;
- Wear Long-sleeve Shirts: Shirts with long-sleeves are recommended.
- (1) Handgun* – a centerfire double-action revolver or semi-automatic pistol of .38 caliber or 9mm or larger caliber is required. Handguns chambered in calibers smaller than .38 caliber are prohibited from use in this course. Although students are encouraged to bring their own handgun, Davenport Guns offers rental handguns for $10.00/hour.
Required Materials, Equipment and Supplies: (continued)
*Note: All privately-owned handguns must be modern, clean, lubricated and serviceable in all respects. All handguns will be subjected to a safe-to-fire inspection by the instructor prior to being approved for use in the course. Those renting a handgun must purchase ammunition from Davenport Guns; and
- (100) Cartridges of the correct ammunition for the handgun to be used during the course – correct caliber and pressure rating (+P or +P+). All ammunition must be factory new ammunition in the original manufacturing packaging/box (re-loaded ammunition is prohibited). Davenport Guns offers handgun ammunition for sale; and
- (3) Spare magazines (for semi-automatic pistols) or (3) speed-loaders (for revolvers) are recommended; and
- (1 set) Eye and hearing protection. Students are encouraged to bring their own personal protective equipment. Davenport Guns offers eye and ear protection for sale.
No live-ammunition in the classroom! – NO EXCEPTIONS –