Course Title: NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course
Course Description: This course is an excellent starting point for the new handgun owner or the soon-to-be handgun owner, those applying for a concealed carry weapons permit or the seasoned shooter looking to become a more proficient handgun shooter. Students will get intensive lessons in gun safety, types of handgun actions, the fundamentals of handgun marksmanship, handgun selection/purchasing criteria, basics of cleaning/lubrication and care of a handgun, and safe handgun and ammunition storage options. This course satisfies the 8 hours of prior firearms safety training required for the Illinois Concealed Carry Firearm License (CCFL) application.
Note: This course is the pre-requisite for the NRA Personal Protection In The Home course.
Registration Fee: $124.95/student (fee is transferable to future course dates, but not refundable)
Note: Please bring Proof of Purchase to the class (paper receipt or electronic copy required)
Course Goal: To teach students the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary for owning, using and caring for a handgun safely.
Lesson 1 – Handgun Knowledge and Safe Gun Handling;
Lesson 2 – Ammunition Knowledge and the Fundamentals of Handgun Shooting;
Lesson 3 – Various Shooting Positions and Handgun Shooting Qualification Exercise;
Lesson 4 – Scoring Targets, Selecting a Handgun for Purchase and
How to Maintain, Inspect and Clean a Handgun; and
Lesson 5 – Opportunities for Continuing Education, Training and Skill Development.
Course Length: 8 hours (minimum length), this course is presented in ONE sessions during summer months. Saturday from 7am to 3pm.
*NOTE: BRING YOUR HANDGUN AND AMMUNITION FOR SATURDAY ONLY
Course Prerequisites: Please bring a positive attitude toward learning, firearm safety and a willingness to participate in course exercises. The course material is easily understood by all adults regardless of their level of shooting experience (including students with no shooting experience) and mature minors age 14 years old and older who are accompanied by an adult, parent or legal guardian who is age 21 years old or older.
Additional Information: The following items are included at no additional cost in the registration fee: student handouts ($12.50/ea.), indoor shooting range fee ($15.00/ea.) and targets ($1.50/ea.)
Required Materials, Equipment and Supplies:
- Please wear appropriate shooting range clothing:
- Wear Long Pants: Blue jeans are recommended;
- Wear Closed-toe Shoes: Boots or tennis shoes are recommended;
- Wear Crew-Neck Shirts: Avoid low-cut tops or V-neck shirts;
- (1) Handgun – a centerfire double-action revolver or semi-automatic pistol of .38 caliber/9mm or larger caliber is required (exceptions on case to case basis). Handguns chambered in calibers smaller than .38 caliber are prohibited from use in this course. Although students are encouraged to bring their own self-defense handgun, Davenport Guns does offers handguns for rent ($10.00/each). All handguns must be modern, clean, lubricated and serviceable in all respects. All handguns will be subjected to a safe-to-fire inspection by the course instructor prior to use in this course.
Required Materials, Equipment and Supplies: (continued)
Note: All handguns must be unloaded, actions open and cased prior to entering the facility.
- (100) Cartridges of the correct ammunition for the handgun to be used during the course – correct caliber and pressure rating. All ammunition must be in the original manufacturing packaging/box (NO hand re-loaded ammunition). Although students are encouraged to bring their own ammunition, Davenport Guns does offers handgun ammunition for sale (approximately $15.00/box of 50 cartridges).
Note: Those renting a handgun must purchase ammunition from Davenport Guns.
- (3) Spare Magazines (for semi-automatic pistols) or (3) Speed-loaders (for revolvers) are recommended; and
- (1 set) Eye and Hearing Protection. Although students are encouraged to bring their own personal protective equipment, Davenport Guns does offers eye and ear protection for sale.
Registration Process: The following is a step-by-step guide for registering for the course:
- Please visit: https//www.davenportguns.com/
- “Click” to select the “TRAINING / CLASSES” icon at the top of the page;
- “Click” to select the “NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting” icon on the left side of the page;
- “Click” the arrow symbol to utilize the drop-down menu in the “Choose an option” icon;
- “Click” to select the desired course date;
- “Click” to select the “Add to cart” icon;
- “Click” to select the “View cart” icon;
- “Click” to select the “Proceed to checkout” icon;
- Complete the registration form and enter your desired method of payment (credit/debit cards);
- “Click” to select the “Place order” icon to complete your transaction.
No live-ammunition in the classroom! – NO EXCEPTIONS –
Course Dates: The dates highlighted in RED are the dates on which this course is held: Please visit www.davenportguns.com for course convening times.
Course dates, times and price are subject to change without additional notice.