Course Title: NRA Defensive Pistol Course
Course Length: 8-hours – approximately 4-hours in the classroom & 4-hours on the Range. It is presented in two, 4-hour sessions and the material is progressive in nature.
Course Registration Fee: $175.00/each, the full price deposit is non-refundable, but may be applied to any future course within the same fiscal year.
Course Size: 10
Course Goal: The goal of the course is to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to carry and use a concealed handgun ethically, responsibly, and with confidence.
Course Description: This course is designed as a logical follow-up to either the NRA Personal Protection Inside The Home Course. The Defensive Pistol Course is designed to elevate the knowledge, skills and defensive mindset possessed by the basic handgun shooter to a more practical everyday self-defense application. This course focuses on the techniques needed to develop a defensive mindset. Graduates of this course will possess a unique skill set encompassing, safety, speed, accuracy and spatial awareness to confidently utilize their handgun in a self-defense encounter. The student will learn and demonstrate many diverse handgun shooting skills to respond quickly and appropriately to a broad range of threats he or she may encounter outside the home. This course is only conducted by NRA Certified Advanced Pistol Instructors.
Topics of Focus: As a result of participating in this course, the student will be able to explain and demonstrate the following:
- Techniques for avoiding life-threatening confrontations (confrontation avoidance);
- Principles of effective handgun concealment;
- Presenting (drawing) a handgun from concealment;
- Flash sight picture shooting;
- The difference between cover and concealment;
- Reloading under stress;
- Immediate action drills for clearing malfunctions;
- Levels of mental situational awareness,
- Developing the proper defensive mindset when using a pistol for personal protection;
- Discussion of the psychological and physiological changes that may occur during an attack; and
- Live-fire shooting drills (targets at varying distances).
Course Completion: Students will receive the following:
- NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection Outside The Home handbook;
- NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure;
- NRA Defensive Pistol course completion certificate.
– NRA Basic Pistol, NRA FIRST Steps Pistol course or other certified pistol training
– Participant must be 21 years of age or older
– Student must have a ‘current’ License to Carry for the State they reside.
– Student must have at least a basic understanding of how their firearm operates.
This is an advanced handgun shooting course and will only be taught to mature students who possess advanced shooting skills. Students are required to demonstrate the knowledge skills and abilities necessary to effectively manipulate they’re handguns (load, unload and cycle operators – levers and buttons) without any assistance from the instructor. Students are required to consistently and repeatedly place 5-shot groups within a 4” circle at distances of 7, 10 and 15 feet.
Participant equipment requirements:
– Pistol- minimum calibers, .38 Special or 9mm.
– Three magazines or speed loaders
– Strong side holster; magazine holders or speed loader pouch
– Minimum 250 rounds of factory ammunition
– Clothing appropriate for concealed carry
– Eye and ear protection
– Handgun of at least 9 mm/38 caliber (range guns are available for rent and ammunition for purchase)
– Strong side – outside the waistband holster (preferably form fitting to the gun you bring)
– 200 rounds of ammunition for the gun you bring (no magnum rounds)
– Concealment clothing (dress appropriately for current weather conditions)
– Eye and hearing protection (ball cap optional)
– At least 2 extra magazines or speed loaders
– magazine or speed loader pouch
– proof of your States ‘License to Carry’ – (pocket card or certificate)
Firearm, Holster and Ammo Requirements:
Your firearm must be fully functional, have all factory-installed safety devices intact, and have no dangerous modifications (such as a “hair” triggers less than 4 pounds, removed trigger guard, etc.). “Pocket Pistols” are not allowed due to their very small size and difficulty of use. Holsters must correctly fit the firearm, completely cover the trigger guard and remain open when the firearm is removed. Factory ammunition is required, NO reloads. Electronic hearing protection is mandatory and is available at numerous retailers. Minimum age is 21 if taking the course unaccompanied. Minimum age is 18 if taking the course with a parent or guardian. You will need 300 to 400 rounds of ammunition, firearm, holster, concealment garment such as a jacket etc, 2 extra magazines or speed loaders, eye protection is also required. Knee & elbow pads are also highly recommended, your firearm should be 9mm or larger caliber. Shoes – comfortable with sufficient support to permit a full range of motion