This 16-hour course split over 4 days (6pm to 10pm) meets and exceeds all the firearm safety training requirements of the Illinois Concealed Firearms Act. This course will ALWAYS be taught by an Illinois State Police approved trainer in it’s entirety.
Course Goals: To teach the basic knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for owning, using and carrying a concealed handgun safely and ethically in the State of Illinois. Topics of focus include intensive lessons on the legal requirements and restrictions associated with carrying a concealed firearm in the State of Illinois and a demonstration of applicant’s handgun shooting proficiency.
Course tuition: $224.95. Contact the store for group discount rates (email@example.com or 563-424-1812).
You will receive:
- An NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting certificate (a prerequisite for NRA Personal Protection in the Home)
- A Basics of Pistol Shooting student handout packet
- A 16 hour Illinois Concealed Carry training certificate.
What to bring:
- An Illinois FOID card and state ID proving age 21+
- A pistol or revolver in good working order (rental guns are available at the store. If you rent a gun, you must buy ammo at the store)
- 150 rounds of ammunition
- Eye and ear protection (for sale at the store if needed)
- Safe range attire: Baseball cap, long pants, close-toed shoes, crew-neck shirt
Basics of Pistol Shooting Course
Course Description: This course is an excellent starting point for the new handgun owner or the soon-to-be handgun owner, those applying for a concealed carry weapons permit or the seasoned shooter looking to become a more proficient handgun shooter. Students will get intensive lessons in gun safety, types of handgun actions, the fundamentals of handgun marksmanship, handgun selection/purchasing criteria, basics of cleaning/lubrication and care of a handgun, and safe handgun and ammunition storage options. This course satisfies the 8 hours of prior firearms safety training required for the Illinois Concealed Carry Firearm License (CCFL) application.
Note: This course is the pre-requisite for the NRA Personal Protection In The Home course.
Course Goal: To teach students the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary for owning, using and caring for a handgun safely.
Course Prerequisites: Please bring a positive attitude toward learning, firearm safety and a willingness to participate in course exercises. The course material is easily understood by all adults regardless of their level of shooting experience (including students with no shooting experience)
Additional Information: The following items are included at no additional cost in the registration fee: student handouts ($12.50/ea.), indoor shooting range fee ($15.00/ea.) and targets ($1.50/ea.)
Required Materials, Equipment and Supplies:
- Please wear appropriate shooting range clothing:
- Wear Long Pants: Blue jeans are recommended;
- Wear Closed-toe Shoes: Boots or tennis shoes are recommended;
- Wear Crew-Neck Shirts: Avoid low-cut tops or V-neck shirts;
- If bringing your own Handgun it must be modern, clean, lubricated and serviceable in all respects. All handguns will be subjected to a safe-to-fire inspection by the course instructor prior to use in this course.
Note: All handguns must be unloaded, actions open and cased prior to entering the facility.
- (100) Cartridges of the correct ammunition for the handgun to be used during the course – correct caliber and pressure rating. All ammunition must be in the original manufacturing packaging/box (NO hand re-loaded ammunition). Although students are encouraged to bring their own ammunition, Davenport Guns does offers handgun ammunition for sale (approximately $15.00/box of 50 cartridges).
Note: Those renting a handgun must purchase ammunition from Davenport Guns.
- (1 set) Eye and Hearing Protection. Although students are encouraged to bring their own personal protective equipment, Davenport Guns does offers eye and ear protection for sale.
No live-ammunition in the classroom! – NO EXCEPTIONS – Course dates, times and price are subject to change without additional notice.