- All students must provide all the following items:
- A valid government issued photo identification card – proof of age (≤ 21 years) and State of Illinois residency; and
- A valid State of Illinois FOID Card – proof of eligibility to possess firearms.
- *Every student must provide at least one of the following documents for proof of their 8-hours of prior training credit:
- NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course Certificate; or
- NRA Personal Protection in the Home Course Certificate; or
- NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home Course Certificate; or
- DoD Form DD-214 – U.S. Military Personnel with an Honorable Discharged; or
- Form 430 ILCS 66/75(J) – Prior Law Enforcement/Correctional Officer; or
- There are several other courses that provide 4-hours of credit that may be considered at the discretion of the instructor – please contact the instructor at (563) 424-1812 for details and eligibility.
*Note: Applicants without proof of 8 hours of prior firearm safety training must register, attend and pass the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course to satisfy the 8 hours of prior training requirement.
Registration Fee: $125.00/student (Registration fee is transferable, but not refundable)
Course Goals: To teach the basic knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for owning, using and carrying a concealed handgun safely and ethically in the State of Illinois. Topics of focus include intensive lessons on the legal requirements and restrictions associated with carrying a concealed firearm in the State of Illinois and a demonstration of applicant’s handgun shooting proficiency.
Lesson 1 – Handgun Knowledge and Safe Gun Handling Skills
Lesson 2 – State of Illinois FOID Card
Lesson 3 – Introduction to Federal Firearms Laws
Lesson 4 – Introduction to Illinois Firearm Transportation Laws
Lesson 5 – Introduction to Illinois Concealed Carry of Firearms Law
Lesson 6 – How to Lawfully Interact with Law Enforcement Officers
Lesson 7 – Justifiable Use of Force, Unlawful Use of Weapons and ILCS Definitions
Lesson 8 – How to Safely Draw a Firearm from Concealment
Lesson 9 – Davenport Shooting Club Range Safety Briefing
Lesson 10 – Live-fire Shooting Qualification:
- 30-shot course of fire using a B-27 silhouette target. To qualify 70% of the bullets must hit the scorable target area (or 21 of 30 bullets).
- 10 rounds fired from 5, 7 and 10 yards each.
Required Material, Supplies and Equipment:
- (1) Handgun – Students are encouraged to supply they’re own self-defense handgun for the course. All privately-owned handguns must be modern, clean, lubricated and serviceable in all respects. Handguns are available for rent from the gun shop ($10.00/hour);
- (50) Cartridges of the correct ammunition for the handgun to be used in the course (caliber and pressure). Students are encouraged to supply they’re own ammunition for the course. Ammunition is available for purchase in the gun shop.
- (1 set) Eye and Ear Protection – Students are encouraged to supply they’re own shooting glasses and hearing protection. Shooting glasses and ear muffs are available for purchase in the gun shop.
- Wear appropriate shooting range clothing – a baseball cap, long sleeve crew neck T-shirt, long pants, and closed-toe footwear. Footwear should have high-traction lug soles.
Additional Information: Included in the cost of the tuition are the student handouts, shooting range rental fee, and targets. Lunch will be provided.
No live-ammunition in the classroom! – No Exceptions –
Course Dates: The State of State of Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms License Course is held in one all-day Saturday session (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.).
We know you have a choice in firearms education and training providers in the Quad-Cities area and we thank you for choosing Davenport Guns and Shooting Club.