Course Description: This 3-hour course meets all the firearm safety training requirements to apply for the State of Iowa Non-Professional or Professional Permit to Carry Weapons per Iowa Code Chapter 724. The course curriculum far exceeds the minimum training requirements per Iowa Department of Public Safety Administrative Rule 661 and Chapter 91. This course is required for all new permit applicants and is HIGHLY recommended for all current permit holders, who will soon be applying for a permit renewal. The laws in Iowa have recently changed in significant ways and current permit holders are encouraged to attend this training for a refresher on the new Iowa laws. This is NOT an NRA-approved course; however, it is taught by NRA-certified instructors.
This is a non-shooting course.
Registration Fee: $59.95/student (fee is transferable to future course dates, but not refundable)
Note: Please bring Proof of Purchase to the class (paper receipt or electronic copy required)
Course Length: 3 hours (represents the minimum course length – actual course length may vary)
Course Goals: To teach the basic knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for owning, using and carrying a handgun safely, ethically and legally in the State of Iowa.
Lesson 1 – State of Iowa Law
Lesson 2 – Legal Use of Deadly Force
Lesson 3 – Developing a Personal Safety Plan
Lesson 4 – Strategies for Violent Encounters and the Aftermath of a Self-defense Shooting
Lesson 5 – Basic Handgun Knowledge and Safe Gun Handling Rules
Lesson 6 – Basic Ammunition Knowledge and the Fundamental Elements of Pistol Shooting
Lesson 7 – Selecting and Maintaining Your Handgun
- All students must have a valid government-issued photo identification card for proof of:
® Residency in the State of Iowa; and
® Age 21 years old or older.
Additional Information: Upon completion of this course students will be issued a course completion certificate. This certificate must be presented to the County Sheriff’s office in the county in which you reside as proof of receiving firearm safety training.
Course Registration Process:
- Utilize the Internet and go to the following Wed-site address: https://www.davenportguns.com/
- “Click” to select the “TRAINING / CLASSES” icon at the top of the page;
- “Click” to select the “Iowa Concealed Carry” icon on the left side of the page;
- “Click” the arrow symbol to utilize the drop-down menu in the “Choose an option” icon;
- “Click” to select the desired course date;
- “Click” to select the “Add to cart” icon;
- “Click” to select the “View cart” icon;
- “Click” to select the “Proceed to checkout” icon;
- Complete the registration form and enter your desired method of payment (credit/debit cards);
- “Click” to select the “Place order” icon to complete your transaction.
Course Dates: This course is offered on the dates highlighted in RED: Please visit: www.davenportguns.com for up-to-date course convening times.
Course dates, times and price are subject to change without additional notice.